Opening for submissions from this evening is the 2022 Pokemon Trading Card Illustration Contest, but just for artists in the USA and Japan, which is a shame for me! It is a contest designed to encourage artists to explore everyday life for their favorite Pokemon… As long as your favorite Pokemon comes within the 8 from this year’s approved list. You can each submit up to 3 illustrations (they don’t all need to be of the same Pokemon) between this evening and 31st January 2022, with that approved Pokemon list being:
- Galarian Rapidash
Remember that the theme of the contest is “The Daily Life of Pokemon”.
The entries will be judged by a number of well known names in the world of Pokemon:
- Tsunekazu Ishihara (President of The Pokemon Company)
- Hirokazu Tanaka (President of Creatures Inc)
- Kenji Okubo (President of The Pokemon Company International)
- Yuji Kitano (Senior Executive Director of Creatures Inc)
- Atsuko Ujiie (Executive Director & CG Studio Art Director of Creatures Inc)
- Satoru Nagaya (Art Director of Creatures Inc)
- Kouki Saitou (Illustrator at Pokemon TCG)
- Tomokazu Komiya (Illustrator at Pokemon TCG)
- Akira Egawa (Illustrator at Pokemon TCG)
The judges have revealed that the selection process will focus 40% on interpretation and clarity of the theme, so make sure that the pokemon is doing something in its every day life – include a background! 30% focus on creativity and originality of the depicted theme and 30% on overall design.
Winners will be announced in June 2022 with 4 great prizes up for grabs!
- Grand Prize Winner – 1 winner will receive $5,000 as well as having their card made in to a promo card.
- First Runners Up – 2 runners up will receive $3,000 each and their illustrations will be made in to a promo card.
- Second Runners Up – 2 second runners up will receive $1,000 each.
- Judges’ Award – 15 judges’ awards will be handed out at $500 each.
For more details on how to apply for this contest please head over to the Pokemon TCG Illustration Contest website.